Found in the centre of western Zambia, Kafue National Park is the oldest and largest of Zambia’s national parks. It covers a massive 22,400 km2.
First established as a National Park in the 1950’s by the legendary Norman Carr, Kafue is one of the largest national parks in the whole of Africa. Despite its size and prominent location only two hours drive from Livingstone, it remains little-known and largely unexplored with vast tracts of its virgin bush still untouched. Thanks to its size and variety of habitat types the Kafue holds a fantastic diversity of wildlife
Activities in Kafue National Park
There is plenty to do when visiting Zambia’s oldest and largest National Park. The park accounts for approximately 33% of the country’s national park system and is a wilderness area which remains mostly underdeveloped. As you can expect with a park of this magnitude, there are several options during your visit or stay.
- Guided Walks- a short excursion, usually with a guide.
- Night Drives- an opportunity to see the parks nocturnal creatures.
- Day Drives- a guide will accompany your drive and show you what to look out for.
- Specialist Birding Drives- a must for all the birding enthusiasts with more than 494 bird species.
Other available activities includes:
- Specialized Safari Tours- these tours are usually anywhere from days to weeks long and offer the opportunity to tailor-make a tour to suit what you would like to experience. These safari tours can range from luxury trips to family packages.
- Walking Safaris- you will get to experience the African bush at its most intense. These safaris are usually overnight so you have the opportunity to camp in the bush.
- Balloon Flights- at certain times of the year you can explore the Park from an aerial perspective offering spectacular views of the terrain and wildlife.
- Boat Safaris- the Kafue River offers a wonderful vantage point to view game coming to the rivers edge to drink or encounter water birds, hippos and crocodiles close up (quite safely!)
- The Park and External Adventures- many tour operators offer the opportunity to explore Kafue National Park as well as other highlights within Zambia or even other countries. An example of this may be Kafue National Park coupled with a visit to the magnificent Victoria Falls